Sunday, August 7, 2011

Kickstarter & Artist Ryan Nabulsi

So I just recently discovered Kickstarter, a really cool funding site that allows people to take in donations (often in exchange for some perk) to fund projects like movies, art exhibitions, albums, etc. It's a great way for people to get small businesses or projects rolling.

While checking out some of the Atlanta projects I came across Ryan Nabulsi, a local artist that makes camera-less images on polaroid film and then enlarges them.

PX70FF01_05
Archival Pigment Print
2011
50x40
M. Ryan Nabulsi
$1500

This is some of the coolest abstract work I've seen in ages. The colors remind me of microscope slides of algae or satellite pictures of the earth. Plus, I love that a lot of the images have a definite figure and ground so that they suggest things to your imagination, sort of like an arty Rorschach test. If money were no object, I would totally snap up one or four or five of these at full size (around 3.5 by 4 foot). He's offering one of the smaller sizes at a reduced price if you contribute to the show he's having at Poem88 in September. You can check out the project here.

No comments:

Post a Comment