To start this cake, you beat a stick of butter until it's nice and fluffy. Add the applesauce and yogurt. Beat in the sugar and vanilla.
Yields 16 small servings (3.25" by 2.25" slices)
Cooking Time: 50 min. (20 active)
Adapted from this recipe
For the cake:
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 stick (4 ounces) butter (room temp. is easier to beat, but not strictly necessary)
1 cup good quality, unsweetened Greek Yogurt or sour cream (I use Fage 0% in all my recipes!)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (often snack sizes come in 1/2 cup portions so you don't have to worry about using up an opened container if you go that route)
1 1/2 cups sugar (or less)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1. Grease a 9 by 13 pan and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a flour sifter, stir together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until it is light and fluffy. Beat in the applesauce and yogurt.
4. Beat in the sugar and vanilla. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time.
5. Sift the flour mixture over the wet ingredients and gently fold them together by hand until just combined.
6. Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
7. In another bowl stir together the topping ingredients. Sprinkle evenly over the cake.
8. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Using the convection setting on my toaster oven it takes exactly 25 minutes for me.)